Work Permit

Canada Work Visa

Canada work visas are issued under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This program is intended to help Canadian employers to recruit foreign workers in remedying labour market shortages.

TFWP is made up of four streams:

  • High-skilled workers
  • Low-skilled workers
  • Seasonal agricultural worker program
  • Live-in Caregiver Program.

Foreign workers must have an approved job offer and a work permit before arriving in Canada under the TFWP. The IRCC work with the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to ensure that foreign workers are not offered with job opportunities, for which qualified Canadian Residents and/or Permanent Residents are available to fill the vacancies. Canadian employers intending to hire a foreign worker must obtain prior approval, through applying for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

In some cases, foreign workers may qualify to work in Canada without an LMIA under various programs, such as the International Mobility Program.

Ardent, in discharging the duties of Immigration Consultants, analyze the job markets and frequently help employers and job seekers alike, in the recruitment process, in securing favourable LMIAs, applying for Canada work permits and related Canada visas.

Click here to contact us for more information, to process your LMIA application and to find a suitable employer/valid job offer.

Spouse Work Permit

The family members of a TFWP Canada work permit holder have the opportunity of accompanying the work permit holder to Canada. All family members must complete their own applications forms, but they can be submitted together. If such accompanying family member wants to work in Canada, they should apply for separate Canada work permit. If a temporary foreign worker’s children would like to study in Canada, they need a study permit.

In Certain cases, spouses or Common-law partners are eligible to obtain an open work permit. An open work permit allows the holder to work on any job with any employer with limited exceptions. A spouse’s eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of the temporary foreign worker’s job.

A high-skilled foreign worker’s spouse could be eligible for an open work permit, provided the foreign worker is authorized to work in Canada for at least six months. A low-skilled worker’s spouse will only be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project.

However, dependent children of either high skilled or low skilled workers also are only eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project.

Click here for more information about eligibility determination and applying for spouse work permits and children’s study permits contact us.

Post Graduate Work Permit

Post-Graduate Work Permits (PGWP) are open work permits given to international students who graduate from Canadian programs of study. PGWPs allow the holder to work for any employer, for as many hours they wish, anywhere in Canada.

PGWPs are valid for between eight months to three years and are a great way to obtain valuable Canadian work experience. Once an applicant has work experience in Canada, it opens a lot of opportunities to obtain Canadian Permanent Residence.

Click here to contact us to avoid the risk of getting your Post Graduate Work Permit refused upon submission.

Bridging Open Work Permit

Canada always welcome the talented temporary foreign workers and try to retain them to ensure continued economic growth. The Bridge Open Work Permit (BOWP) in Canada is a win-win situation for both the skilled immigrants and Canadian economy. Those who already have a work permit that is about to expire and have already submitted their application for Permanent Residence, shall apply for a BOWP, as this permit is designed to effectively bridge the time gap between the expiry of your current work permit and the conclusion of the processing of the already submitted application for Canadian Permanent Residence.

However, in order to obtain the Bridging Open Work Permit, the foreign nationals who have submitted the application for Permanent Residence must have a positive eligibility assessment issued by the IRCC.

Applicants must have applied for one of the following programs in order to be eligible for Canadian Bridging Open Work Permit;

1. Provincial Nominee Program

2. Canadian Experience Class

3. Federal Skilled worker Class

4. Caring for people with High Medical Need Class

5. Caring for Children Class

6. Agri- Food Pilot

IEC Work Permit

IEC stands for International Experience Class Work Permit. The IEC permit applicants to gain Canadian professional work experience to make space in the global economy as this program is focused in providing with opportunities of work to those who temporarily visit Canada, which makes it one of the most amazing ways to fund your vacation by working during the holiday in Canada, while enjoying the vacation.

Foreign nationals between the age of 18 and 35 can benefit from the IEC program if they are citizens of a country that participate in the IEC program or through a recognized organization.

There are three categories under which an IEC may be obtained;

Working holiday

for applicants whose intention is to work while travelling in Canada to supplement the finances for the vacation. This does not require a job offer and allows you with the flexibility of working for different employers in different locations in Canada.

Young professionals

for applicants whose intention is to gain work experience in Canada under pre-arranged contract of employment in support of their career development are welcome under this category to gain experience.

International Co-op (Internship) Placement

for applicants who are registered to pursue post - secondary studies in the home country, but, intending to fullfil part of the academic curriculum in Canada by completing pre-arranged work placements which are related to their respective fields of study.